Friday, December 7, 2007

A New Hobby







I have recently taken an interest in creating my own pottery. As a kid, I loved to play with clay and Play-dough. I tried my hand at throwing on a wheel during my first year as a teacher in Arma, Kansas. The art teacher and I became friends and she gave me a few lessons on the wheel, although I didn't practice enough to really build any sort of skill.

A few years ago, I obtained a potter's wheel from my dad. This wheel has traveled with me from Joplin, Missouri to Kansas City, Missouri, to Los Angeles. I kept promising myself that "someday" I would learn how to use it. After completing a Raku class at a local community college, I officially have the "ceramics" bug! Here are a few of my creations. My first attempts look a bit clumsy--but I think I'm beginning to get the idea. (The last photo is my latest piece.)

1 comment:

Pam said...

Steve,

I'm very impressed with your new "hobby". Can't wait till I get my own "signed" piece!
Pam